Friday, November 26, 2010

TOP 10: Villains

     There are many, many villains out there but I have managed to narrow it down to ten. I think villains are very interesting. Usually they're antagonists or foils to the protagonists but they can also be stand-alone. I'm not sadistic. Really.

1. Darth Vader (Star Wars) - Draped in a visage of black, with the recognizable breathy voice, Darth Vader is seriously evil. The fact that he is the father of Luke makes it even more screwed up. Having being tempted to the dark side, Vader eventually has salvation upon his death in Episode VI. He still rocks. 
Made me 'lawl' so hard when I first saw this.
2. Sephiroth (FFVII) - Him killing Aerith was enough to seal the deal for me. An iconic figure in the gaming world, Sephiroth remains as one of the most memorable villains. Although his motivation for his actions doesn't make any logical sense, I think his character design is strikingly beautiful. He's also extremely hard to beat in FFVII. For me anyway.  
3. Joker (Batman) -  Heath Ledger was absolutely enthralling and brilliant in The Dark Knight, his portrayal of the Joker was the highlight in my opinion. His passing was extremely unfortunate. Joker is sadistic, crazy and highly entertaining. Batman himself pales in comparison, I don't care much for his character. He's boring. 
4. Jack Torrance (The Shining) Mad writer gone even more mad, the book and movie freaked the hell out of me. An ex-alcoholic with a violent temper and tendencies make him one crazy tangled mess. This seems to be a common theme between villains...
5. The Evil Queen (Snow White) - I am not a fan of Disney. I have a list of reasons why but let me just say that I hated them when I was a kid and I hate them now. Hate is a strong word, dislike then. I had a wonderful childhood, thank you very much. Self-loving and envious of others' beauty, she's the type of woman I would loathe to become. I mean, we all can be self-loving and envious but the Evil Queen is the epitome. 
6. Hannibal Lecter (Silence of the Lambs) - If you don't think a cannibalistic serial killer should be considered evil, I would assume that there's something slightly wrong with you. His entire history emphasizes the importance of childhood, I believe his obsession with cannibalism stems from the fact that his sister was murdered and cannibalized in front of him. Yeah. 
7. Voldemort (Harry Potter) - He killed Harry's parents. That's reason enough. Really though, his actions are seemingly childish and he is deathly afraid of his own mortality. I think he enjoys making people suffer and surely he does not care about others feelings. 
8. John Kramer a.k.a Jigsaw (Saw Series) - I really enjoyed the first movie...but it went downhill from there. Makes me wonder how crazy creative you have to be to come up with all the elaborate and sick traps. Anyway, Jigsaw is akin to God in a sense in the series. He sets these traps so that his victims 'will to live' can be tested. The heck.  
9. The White Witch (The Chronicles of Narnia) - The White Witch only appeared in some of the books (The Silver Chair is my favorite if you care to know) and she is absolutely beautiful. Cunning and prideful, she looks down on others as inferior. And she killed poor Aslan.  
10. Patrick Bateman (American Psycho) - I can't quite remember but I think there's a scene in the movie where he runs outside his apartment naked whilst chasing someone. I could be wrong. He loves pleasure (killing women mind you), he hallucinates and slowly loses his sanity. He's just all around crazy. The novel is much more graphic than the movie.     
From what I can tell, many villains have psychological issues of their own and are often complex. I'm no expert by any means and my memory fails me, so forgive me if my depictions are inaccurate or incorrect. Have any favorites?
P.S. I'll be MIA for the next few days, the lighting has been so atrocious here that I haven't been able to swatch. So, I hope to get some good shots over the weekend. Plus, this weekend is a little busy for me. Damn...I broke my posting streak =D. Hope you all have a wonderful weekend! 
 
Images: Courtesy of Google.com

1 comment:

  1. My name is Nitin from Toronto. I am interested in your writing. Some of your posting are good, I can say, best. Can you please tell me how to subscribe to your blog post online?

    ReplyDelete