Saturday, November 13, 2010

TOP 10: Songs

     I'm going to start off this post with a mandatory rant. The past couple of years in American music has been crap. There have been some great songs but for the majority: pure unadulterated pile of crap. I stopped trying to keep up with all the crap about a year ago. You can imagine how lost I am, I heard Kesha's "Tic Tok" for the first time a while back. My BF looked at me and said, "It's been out for a FEW MONTHS. Are you a hermit?". I'll sum up modern music for you: auto-tune, songs about money, songs about cars, songs about women and sex...am I missing something? Is it still like this? =_='. I miss the music of the 90s.
     That being said, I listen to a lot of J-pop and K-pop. Granted K-pop isn't all that great either, it's auto-tuned like crazy and entertainment companies get slapped often with plagiarism lawsuits or accusations. I'm not going to get into this topic because I'm not knowledgeable about it, saves me from making an ass out of myself. Which I may have done already... 
1. OLIVIA inspi' REIRA - A Little Pain: If you have watched NANA, you'll know this song. When I first heard this, I thought it was just beautiful. The singer, Olivia Lufkin, is just as beautiful. It's a haunting and slightly sombre tune with amazing vocals and guitar riffs.   

2. Tool - Schism: Created by the progressive metal group Tool, this is one crazy song. There's limited lyrics, it is mainly drums, bass and guitar. The rhythm changes so many times in this song and I don't even know how to explain this because I can't, I don't know how =_=. It's a long song, ~7 minutes. 

3. Nobuo Uematsu for Final Fantasy VII - One Winged Angel: Nobuo is a genius. If I remember correctly, this was played during the final boss bottle (Sephiroth). Which was super hard for me by the way! It's creepy, powerful and awesome at the same time. 

4. Michael Jackson - Billie Jean: Self-explanatory.

5. The Brilliant Green - Ash Like Snow: The second opening for the series Gundam 00, this song has over 1500 plays in iTunes. Yeah, I really like this song. For the record, Gundam Wing is my favorite out of the Gundam series. 

6. Justin Timberlake - Cry Me A River: I liked this song when it came out and I still like it. Some say that the chick in the music video is supposed to represent Britney Spears or something...I don't know where I'm going with this. He's also very stalker-ish in the music vid...

7. 3 Doors Down - Kryptonite: Such a great, catchy tune. I do like the reference and figurative use of Superman within the song. Not a fan of the superhero though.

8. Tsukiko Amano - Koe: 'Koe' (lit. voice) is the theme song for Fatal Frame III. Her voice is so lovely to listen to and I wish the game was half as soothing as this song. I played this in broad daylight, with people around and it still scared the life out of me. My BF refuses to even look at this game. 

9. The Beatles - Yesterday: A short and sweet song (this clocks in at 2 minutes), it is an iconic piece from The Beatles. Very melancholy. 

10. Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit: Our school band played this for a concert, at the time I was a clarinet and in 7th grade. Even at 23, I still have this in my iTunes. Our band teacher was also our music teacher and he was a little eccentric. No, eccentric doesn't even cut it.    

     With my TOP 10 series, none of the lists are in order of favoritism. In this list, I do prefer the Japanese songs more though just because it's what I have been listening to for a while now. I took a music course two summers ago, which renewed my love for older music. I can listen to anything but country. I hate country. 
     You know, now that I look at it, many of the Japanese songs in my inventory are either from video games or anime...oh well.         
     What are your favorites?

No comments:

Post a Comment