Thursday, November 4, 2010

TOP 10: Movies

      I wouldn't say that I am an avid movie-goer or watcher, but I have seen a decent amount of movies thus far. Some of them have been complete crap, while others leave me wanting to see the movie again (rare, but it happens). In the past few years, there have been great movies but at the same time many were unoriginal in my opinion. Which is why I gravitate to subbed films. However, I thought it would be helpful to share some of the movies that I loved and maybe expose people to movies they have not seen yet. WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD!

1. Inception - When this movie was finished, I sat there while the credits rolled and thought to myself, "Holy $h!t, this was one of the best movies I've ever seen. Ever!". It left my brain feeling mushy since the beginning was a complete mind rape. The ending of this movie has to be one of the most talked about topics as well. Nolan's films are some of the best I've seen, but I think this is his best one yet. Pure brilliance.
2. Memento - This was the first Nolan film I watched. I really adore the reverse chronological use of storytelling in this film. There's an "ah-ha!" moment near the end of the film where things start to converge and make sense. To be honest, the ending surprised me because I did not see it coming! Either that or I suck at putting stuff together. Probably the latter.
3. 300 - Based on Frank Miller's comic, this has to be one of the bloodiest films I've ever seen. It's just pure violence, which some may not find appealing. I however, loved it. The blood splatter was done in a comic-book fashion, I liked that touch.
4. Finding Nemo - I've watched this movie many times already and each time I watch it, it is as funny as the first time. This movie made me 'LOL' hard. I really enjoy these types of movies because the humor is innocent and subdued and very, very cute! 
5. Hero - This is another one of my favorite movies. I love Jet Li and Zhang Ziyi, I think they have such great talent. I really like Wuxia films because the cinematography, camerawork and stunts are usually exceptional. The use of color in this film is used to tell different sides of the story. It is just so beautiful to watch. Highly, highly recommended!
6. Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust - I don't care what you say, this is the best vampire manga/movie. The character design is beautiful and the movie is really haunting and dark. I'm going to go on a tangent here and say that Twilight has nothing on this. I really don't understand the hype surrounding it either. I don't know where the first idea to incorporate vampires into stories came from, but I know that vampires have been in manga and stories for as long as I can remember. I loved Anne Rice back when I was around 12, so vampires are not new in fiction. So, if you can enlighten me, please do so =D. Besides, they sparkle. Sparkle. 
7. The Shining - Stephen King is my favorite author, I've been reading his books for a long time now. This movie has to be one of the creepiest movies I've seen. It still remains this way to this day. Famous twins-standing-in-the-middle-of-a-creepy-hallway-getting-butchered scene anyone?
8. The Matrix Series - The first installment was revolutionary for its' time and the concept was new and refreshing. I've watched the entire series but the first movie remains my favorite. Reminds me of the cyberpunk novel by William Gibson titled, Idoru. Fab read, by the way. 
9. Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children - Final Fantasy VII is one of the best video games in the realm of gaming, some my not agree but I played my heart out. When I heard that they were going to adapt this into a short OVA-type film, I was excited to say the least. 
10. Borat - Just the title makes me laugh. I went to see this with my BF and some friends. Needless to say, they were rolling around in their seats so much practically dying because they were laughing so hard. I myself nearly peed from laughing. Clever and funny.
Honorable Mention: District 9 - If you have not seen this movie, you need to see it. Humans and aliens are at the forefront in this film. The story has meaning, the effects aren't huge but they have impact and the characters make for a great time. If this makes sense, it was also slightly heartwarming. Go see it! 
I think I have a pretty good mish-mash of movie genres here. Except for romance. I do not like romance (movies like The Notebook or Titanic for example), it's just a personal preference. I definitely do not have anything against people who do! There are other movies I like such as Pulp Fiction, Harry Potter and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon but...I ran out of room! I have left out many foreign films in this post as well as some animated ones. I know this list may not be attractive to all and some may find that some of the films here revolting and that is perfectly fine! I love intellectual movies that make you think but I also love the films where you watch for stupid fun. 


What are your favorite films? Have any recommendations? =D. 
Images: Courtesy of Google.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment